Hey students! Check out these 10 fun facts about the French language. Even though it may seem hard to learn at first, with a little practice you’ll be able to hold your own in any conversation!
Bon courage !
10 fun facts about the French language
1. “Oeil” (eye) is the only word that starts with a different letter from its plural: “yeux“.
2. The “ù” with a grave accent exists in only one word: “où” (where). However, if you look at a French keyboard, we say an AZERTY keyboard, you will see that the “ù” is directly available!
3. Normally, words ending in “-ette” are feminine words. Normally… 😉😆
But there are two exceptions! “Squelette” (Skeleton) that is not the only male word ending in -ette, there is also “casse-noisette” (nutcracker)!
4. Ahhh, French phonetics! What about the word “oiseau” (bird)?
Well, the word “Oiseau” is the smallest word containing all the vowels and its plural, “oiseaux“, is the longest word of which none of the letters are really pronounced.
5. Do you sometimes have trouble knowing if a word is feminine or masculine? I understand you…
To make your life easier, you can use these two words regularly: “après-midi” (afternoon) and “météorite” (meteorite). Do you know why? Because you can choose to say them in masculine or feminine! Both possibilities are correct..
6. Historians agree that the French language was born in 842.
The first French document dates back to 842, and it is the Strasbourg oaths. Published on February 14, 842, they mark the military alliance between Charles the Bald and Louis the Germanic, against Lothaire Ier.
At the same time, this political agreement constitutes the “birth certificate of the French language“.
Do you like learning French with videos?
7. Do you know what a “palindrome” is? It is a word that can be read from left to right – that is, “normally” in French – or from right to left.
For example, the word “kayak“.
Do you know what the longest palindrome in the French language is? It is the word “Ressasser” (rehash, resit) which is the longest palindrome word in the French language.
8. And an anagram, do you know what is it? I think I do. It’s a word that you write with all the letters of another word.
Do you know this strange anagram of French? “Endolori” (painful) is an anagram of “indolore” (painless), which is its antonym! That is to say, it means exactly the opposite.
The same letters organized differently to say one thing and its opposite… That’s the French spirit!
9. Can you count in French? If so, you must have “liked” finding out how to say 70, 80 and 90, right? 😂
Well, rest assured, some French speaking countries have decided to be logical unlike the French! In Belgium, French-speaking Switzerland and parts of Canada, “soixante-dix“, “quatre-vingts” and “quatre-vingt-dix” are called “septante“, “octante” and “nonante” respectively.
Much more logical all the same!
10. I’m sure you know that the French love to translate all the technical words and have their own version.
An e-mail = un courriel
A spam = un pourriel
And did you know that there is a French word for an e-book? → Le livrel.
I reassure you, nobody uses it.
A guide to the French culture
France is a beautiful country with a rich culture. If you’re looking to learn more about the French culture, there are a few key things you should know. From the food to the fashion, there is so much to learn about this fascinating culture. So what are you waiting for? Start your journey today!
The French culture is renowned for its beauty and richness. If you’re looking to learn more about the French culture, there are a few key things you should know.
Firstly, the French are passionate about their food. They take great pride in their cuisine and enjoy experimenting with new flavors and ingredients. French dishes are often complex and can take hours to prepare.
However, the effort is always worth it as French food is some of the best in the world.
Here, you can read an article about the vocabulary of the French gastronomy.
Secondly, fashion is also very important to the French. They are always well-dressed and take great care in their appearance.
French fashion is often chic and effortless, and it is not unusual to see people wearing designer clothes on a daily basis.
French art and literature
Finally, the French are known for their passion for art and literature. They have produced some of the world’s most renowned artists and writers, and their culture is steeped in history.
If you’re looking to learn more about the French culture, these are just a few of the key things you should know.
The best way to learn French? Practice, practice, practice!
The best way to learn French is by practicing as often as possible. The more you use your new language skills, the better they will become.
You can try using an online course, attending group classes or hiring a private tutor.
And don’t forget to practice on your own too! The more you immerse yourself in the French language, the easier it will be to learn.
So get started today and you’ll be speaking like a native in no time!
And that’s just a taste of the French language! There are many more interesting facts to learn, such as how to conjugate verbs and use pronouns properly 😉
With a little practice, you can be on your way to becoming a fluent French speaker.
Bonne chance et à bientôt !
Articles that might interest you:
- What’s the best way to learn French at home?
- How to ask a question in French? The different types of questions that can be asked in French
- 10 fun facts about the French language
- Learn French days of the week, the months and the seasons
- Is French easy to learn for Indians?
- Learn French while you sleep
- Can I learn French in 3 months?
- Learn French in Dubai: French classes for all levels
- How can I learn French fast?
- Why should you learn French?